The Workhouse

Figart, Dunfanaghy, Co Donegal

Tel 00 353 7491 36540  E-Mail

Home Opening Hours Location Craft & Coffee Shop Tourist Information Workhouse Exhibits Art Exhibitions Kid's Clubs Film Club Heritage Week Courses Earagaill Arts Festival Jazz And Blues Festival Upcoming Events Schools & Tours Funders

Welcome to The Workhouse

The Dunfanaghy Workhouse was a traditional Workhouse offering respite for the poor from 1845 to 1922.  It was opened on the 15th July 1995 by Mary Robinson as a heritage centre and on 16th July this year The Workhouse will be open 20 years.  “The Power of One” Art Exhibition has been extended until after the Jazz and Blues Festival, finishing on Friday 18th September 2015.  There is a full week of activities planned for Heritage Week 22nd August to 30th August such as a Scenic Historical Tour of the Greater Dunfanaghy Area on a bus with Cary Meehan, local historian and author of “Sacred Ireland”.  A walking Hisotrical Tour of Dunfanaghy village and a Wildlife Walk on Horn Head.  Book your places now.

Visit the Workhouse and meet Wee Hannah, as she struggles to survive the famine and her stay in the Workhouse.  Learn about the Workhouse and some history about the Sheephaven Bay Area.

There is a lovely coffee shop specialising in lovely home baking, a community playground, library and a range of facilities such as  free WIFI and internet access.

The Workhouse runs craft classes for children and adults, art exhibitions  and takes part in Festivals such as The Earagail Arts, Heritage Week and The Dunfanaghy Jazz and Blues.

Opening Hours

July & August, 9.30am to 5.30pm Everyday including Sunday

May, June, Sept & Oct 9.30am to 5.00pm Everyday including Sunday

Rest of Year Mon to Wed 9.30am to 4.30pm